Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WCCC vs Derbyshire
New member here. Can anyone tell me why we start this game on Thursday - so no cricket on Bank Holiday Monday??
It's weird - because it's only this game that starts on Thursday, the rest start on Friday as usual. I would have assumed it was to avoid a clash with some other event in Birmingham but I can't find a reference to anything significant happening on Monday.
That would make it more accessible for proper cricket fans to watch their favourite game which means increased attendances, something the ecb don't want, normal service will be resumed the following week when we revert back to Friday starts with people working on Monday, however our ladies team led by the wonderful Marie Kelly are in action @Hampshire so why not go along and see some Bank Holiday cricket? They are also @Somerset the day before
This has happened for many years - avoid the players having to turn out at Public Holidays. Just be grateful they are turning up at the weekend, there has been many a season where most weekends were blank! It is time the ECB, Counties and Players realised they are in the entertainment business and rely on the general public retaining an interest in their sport.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
Mr's Giles. Snowball, and Gascoigne will be in members lounge tomorrow , during the tea interval when they serve free tea, and cake to answer questions on the future of cricket. So a good opportunity for us on this forum to voice our concerns about the future. Think you have to give the club credit for this.
(02-05-2018, 02:51 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Mr's Giles. Snowball, and Gascoigne will be in members lounge tomorrow , during the tea interval when they serve free tea, and cake to answer questions on the future of cricket. So a good opportunity for us on this forum to voice our concerns about the future. Think you have to give the club credit for this.

Yes, a great plus for the club.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Hose, Stone and Barker have been added to the squad in addition to the team that played against Northants.
From comments that Jim Troughton has made, my guess is that Stone and Barker will be judged not quite fit enough to return.
(02-05-2018, 03:20 PM)Terry Wrote: Hose, Stone and Barker have been added to the squad in addition to the team that played against Northants.
From comments that Jim Troughton has made, my guess is that Stone and Barker will be judged not quite fit enough to return.

That's my take on JT's statement as well - if so, it's an easy choice, sticking with Wright, Sidebottom & Brookes.  The most interesting decision will be which two of Hain, Lamb & Hose ?  The other selection which will be of interest, is whether Rhodes & Sibley will continue as openers - though I can't see any obvious alternatives ?
(02-05-2018, 03:31 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 03:20 PM)Terry Wrote: Hose, Stone and Barker have been added to the squad in addition to the team that played against Northants.

That's my take on JT's statement as well - if so, it's an easy choice, sticking with Wright, Sidebottom & Brookes.  The most interesting decision will be which two of Hain, Lamb & Hose ?  The other selection which will be of interest, is whether Rhodes & Sibley will continue as openers - though I can't see any obvious alternatives ?

[/quote]

On this occasion, unless either Barker or Stone are fit to play, I expect an unchanged team from the one that won so convincingly at Northampton. Matt Lamb scored 44 and offers a reliable 4th bowling option (which Rhodes did not against Sussex) and Sam Hain made an excellent 85. Will Rhodes battled through very well as opener for a gritty 44 at Northampton to set up the platform for the middle and lower order to build a large total. Despite Adam Hose's match-winning 153 for the 2ndXI against Worcestershire I expect him to have to wait for an opportunity.

Interestingly Derbyshire have taken former fast bowler Mark Footitt back on a 28 day loan from Nottinghamshire. Their experienced overseas pace attack of Olivier, Viljoen and Rampaul bowled them to victory over Middlesex recently and the addition of Footitt, who took 6-14 to bowl the Bears out for 91 at the Oval last season, would represent a very challenging Derbyshire attack for the Bears to score runs against.
(02-05-2018, 04:09 PM)IanBear Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 03:31 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:

On this occasion, unless either Barker or Stone are fit to play, I expect an unchanged team from the one that won so convincingly at Northampton. Matt Lamb scored 44 and offers a reliable 4th bowling option (which Rhodes did not against Sussex) and Sam Hain made an excellent 85. Will Rhodes battled through very well as opener for a gritty 44 at Northampton to set up the platform for the middle and lower order to build a large total. Despite Adam Hose's match-winning 153 for the 2ndXI against Worcestershire I expect him to have to wait for an opportunity.

Interestingly Derbyshire have taken former fast bowler Mark Footitt back on a 28 day loan from Nottinghamshire. Their experienced overseas pace attack of Olivier, Viljoen and Rampaul bowled them to victory over Middlesex recently and the addition of Footitt, who took 6-14 to bowl the Bears out for 91 at the Oval last season, would represent a very challenging Derbyshire attack for the Bears to score runs against.
[/quote]

I agree - a good move for both Footitt and Derbyshire.
Here's my preview:

http://deepextracover.com/2018/05/sscc-p...erbyshire/
Something strange has happened @Edgbaston,the toss of a coin has taken place!!
(03-05-2018, 10:54 AM)narsty simon Wrote: Something strange has happened @Edgbaston,the toss of a coin has taken place!!
And we lost !  Just like old times ! Derby chose to bat.
(02-05-2018, 04:20 PM)Terry Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 04:09 PM)IanBear Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 03:31 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: [quote='Terry' pid='100476' dateline='1525270832']
Hose, Stone and Barker have been added to the squad in addition to the team that played against Northants.

As you guessed Terry - unchanged from the Team against Northampton.  Hain & Lamb batting; Wright, Sidebottom & Brookes bowling and Rhodes & Sibley due to open again.
Trott to retire end of this season
(03-05-2018, 06:29 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Trott to retire end of this season

Sad news - been a great player and credit to the club.
LE - aka John
(03-05-2018, 07:07 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:

Noooooo! My hero....
(03-05-2018, 07:15 PM)stingray Wrote:

Noooooo! My hero....

Sad but not at all unexpected news as he mentioned his expected retirement at the end of this season in a detailed interview in the Times in the autumn. I remember watching his Championship debut at Edgbaston, opening the batting and almost scoring a century before lunch.

A good description of his commitment and character at the start of his cricinfo profile:

"Sometimes first impressions can prove unerringly accurate. On his second XI debut for Warwickshire in 2002, effectively a trial game, Jonathan Trott scored a dominant 245 that suggested the arrival of a special talent. It was, after all, the highest score by a debutant in the history of Second XI Championship cricket and convinced Warwickshire to sign Trott, unlike Kevin Pietersen in a similar situation three years earlier. But not Trott. He smashed his bat in frustration after his dismissal. This was a man whose hunger for runs would not be easily sated.

Starting well was a theme of Trott's career. In 2003 he made a century on first-class debut as an opener for Warwickshire against a strong Sussex attack - he was 96 not out at lunch - and in 2009 he made a century on Test debut at The Oval."

Noooooo! My hero....
There's always Sammie
(03-05-2018, 07:30 PM)IanBear Wrote:

Noooooo! My hero....

Sad but not at all unexpected news as he mentioned his expected retirement at the end of this season in a detailed interview in the Times in the autumn. I remember watching his Championship debut at Edgbaston, opening the batting and almost scoring a century before lunch.

A good description of his commitment and character at the start of his cricinfo profile:

"Sometimes first impressions can prove unerringly accurate. On his second XI debut for Warwickshire in 2002, effectively a trial game, Jonathan Trott scored a dominant 245 that suggested the arrival of a special talent. It was, after all, the highest score by a debutant in the history of Second XI Championship cricket and convinced Warwickshire to sign Trott, unlike Kevin Pietersen in a similar situation three years earlier. But not Trott. He smashed his bat in frustration after his dismissal. This was a man whose hunger for runs would not be easily sated.

Starting well was a theme of Trott's career. In 2003 he made a century on first-class debut as an opener for Warwickshire against a strong Sussex attack - he was 96 not out at lunch - and in 2009 he made a century on Test debut at The Oval."

Proper batter, always values his wicket