Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time visitor to Edgbaston
I am looking to bring my two sons (age 11 + 7) to watch England v India in the upcoming test match. Any advice on where to sit and what to bring to make the best of our our maiden trip to watch international cricket? The last time I watched an international match at any ground was England v Australia in 1976 at Edgbaston. I was a kid and Lillee and Thompson were bowling. Thanks!
(23-07-2018, 09:00 PM)wes dindy Wrote: I am looking to bring my two sons (age 11 + 7) to watch England v India in the upcoming test match. Any advice on where to sit and what to bring to make the best of our our maiden trip to watch international cricket? The last time I watched an international match at any ground was England v Australia in 1976 at Edgbaston. I was a kid and Lillee and Thompson were bowling. Thanks!

Hi, I presume your ticket specifies a particular stand, row & seat? It’s unusual not to have allocated seats for an international. With 2 youngsters I would bring most of your food for the day and it can be very hot if the sun is shining so lots of sun cream and hats plus layers including waterproofs - it is England after all! I would make sure you bring a large bottle of water as they only seem to sell the smaller bottles in the ground and that can work out expensive. You are allowed to take plastic bottles in but no glass or cans I think (check your ticket it does say). I’m there for days 1-4 and hoping for a great game. I hope your boys enjoy it - I’m sure they’ll love the atmosphere. In the lunch interval they quite often have appearances by former or current players at the back of the ground by the food courts so have a wander round. Good luck!
(23-07-2018, 10:43 PM)stingray Wrote:
(23-07-2018, 09:00 PM)wes dindy Wrote: I am looking to bring my two sons (age 11 + 7) to watch England v India in the upcoming test match. Any advice on where to sit and what to bring to make the best of our our maiden trip to watch international cricket? The last time I watched an international match at any ground was England v Australia in 1976 at Edgbaston. I was a kid and Lillee and Thompson were bowling. Thanks!

Hi, I presume your ticket specifies a particular stand, row & seat? It’s unusual not to have allocated seats for an international. With 2 youngsters I would bring most of your food for the day and it can be very hot if the sun is shining so lots of sun cream and hats plus layers including waterproofs - it is England after all! I would make sure you bring a large bottle of water as they only seem to sell the smaller bottles in the ground and that can work out expensive. You are allowed to take plastic bottles in but no glass or cans I think (check your ticket it does say). I’m there for days 1-4 and hoping for a great game. I hope your boys enjoy it - I’m sure they’ll love the atmosphere. In the lunch interval they quite often have appearances by former or current players at the back of the ground by the food courts so have a wander round. Good luck!

Thanks, we haven't booked a ticket yet. I'm looking for advice on where to sit. There are still tickets in the family stand though I could only see ones with a restricted view. I wonder how restricted? Or wether you can recommend other stands?
Avoid the Eric Hollies Stand as that is where the heavy drinking/noisy behaviour takes place and you might that too distracting from watching the cricket. RES Wyatt stand is good in that it is behind the bowler's arm opposite the pavilion. Not sure but I would think the restricted view mentioned is not being able to see some area(s) close to the boundary.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
wes dindy
(24-07-2018, 10:35 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Avoid the Eric Hollies Stand as that is where the heavy drinking/noisy behaviour takes place and you might that too distracting from watching the cricket. RES Wyatt stand is good in that it is behind the bowler's arm opposite the pavilion. Not sure but I would think the restricted view mentioned is not being able to see some area(s) close to the boundary.

Thanks John. I'll make sure we avoid the EH stand. Cheers,
(24-07-2018, 09:35 AM)wes dindy Wrote:

Thanks, we haven't booked a ticket yet. I'm looking for advice on where to sit. There are still tickets in the family stand though I could only see ones with a restricted view. I wonder how restricted? Or wether you can recommend other stands?

The family stand is the Drayton Manor stand and no alcohol so at least you shouldn’t get the drunken yobs around you! I think as has been said the restricted view refers to the immediate area by the boundary in front of that stand being obscured by the covers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
wes dindy
Enjoy The Test Match at the Home of Warwickshire County Cricket Club ,you should have s great time .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Richardparker's post:
wes dindy
(24-07-2018, 06:07 PM)stingray Wrote:
(24-07-2018, 09:35 AM)wes dindy Wrote:

The family stand is the Drayton Manor stand and no alcohol so at least you shouldn’t get the drunken yobs around you! I think as has been said the restricted view refers to the immediate area by the boundary in front of that stand being obscured by the covers.

Thank you, in the end we took the seats in the Drayton Manor family stand and had a wonderful day out. We shall certainly come again next year, hopefully for the Ashes if there are seats available.
(02-08-2018, 11:17 AM)Richardparker Wrote: Enjoy The Test Match at the Home of Warwickshire County Cricket Club ,you should have s great time .

We had a wonderful time thank you. My sons 7 and 11 enjoyed every minute too.
(02-08-2018, 11:17 AM)Richardparker Wrote: Enjoy The Test Match at the Home of Warwickshire County Cricket Club ,you should have s great time .

(04-08-2018, 10:04 PM)wes dindy Wrote:

I’m so glad you all enjoyed it. It was quite a match!
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
wes dindy
Wes dindy - great you enjoyed the day and, more importantly, so did your lads. You must bring them down to see Warwickshire play in the County Championship. I beieve it's free admission for them, when with an adult. Next thing we will hear is you have become members!
LE - aka John