Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Outlaws
Looks like it could be the last chance saloon for both teams this evening.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
With other results going our way over the last few days there's a chance that 3 wins from the final 4 games could be enough. I think 4 from 4 guarantees a quarter final spot for us.
Proud to be a Bear
(09-08-2018, 12:15 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: With other results going our way over the last few days there's a chance that 3 wins from the final 4 games could be enough. I think 4 from 4 guarantees a quarter final spot for us.

I agree, but I think the 3 wins will probably need to be Notts tonight and the 2 Lancs games.  I don't think anyone will overtake Durham and Worcester - and that means (currently) 5 teams (us, Notts, Lancs, Yorks and Derby) chasing the remaining 2 places.
I wonder if the 2 "missing" games from a balanced league will have an effect on the final table
LE - aka John
Here's my preview:
https://deepextracover.com/2018/08/vital...ghamshire/
Holiday Mondays)
(09-08-2018, 01:26 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I wonder if the 2 "missing" games from a balanced league will have an effect on the final table

Yes, it's ridiculous having 14 T20 games.  I'm sure they could add 2 more without major fixture problems - and ensure that all clubs play everyone else in their Division home and away. 

But then the whole County Fixture system, is THE MOST STUPID setup any person who claims to value Cricket could come up with !  I've banged on this before (and I'll keep doing it!), but each County (or City) SHOULD have:-
16 x 3 day (110 or 120 overs a day) Championship games in the 2 Divisions (starting on Tuesdays)
16 x T20 games in 2 Regional Divisions (on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons)
16 x 50 over games in 2 Regional Divisions OR 8 x 50 over games AND 8 x 'Big Bash / IPL style T20' City games (on Sundays or Bank Holiday Mondays).

Thereby ensuring we have 'popular' cricket most weekends through the summer - and I don't think that 4 and a half days (with the 16 x 50 over games) or 4 and a quarter days (with the 8 x 50 over and the new City T20 games) cricket a week on average over a 4 month season, is too much to be asking of players - or is it?!
(09-08-2018, 03:10 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: Holiday Mondays)
(09-08-2018, 01:26 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I wonder if the 2 "missing" games from a balanced league will have an effect on the final table

Yes, it's ridiculous having 14 T20 games.  I'm sure they could add 2 more without major fixture problems - and ensure that all clubs play everyone else in their Division home and away. 

But then the whole County Fixture system, is THE MOST STUPID setup any person who claims to value Cricket could come up with !  I've banged on this before (and I'll keep doing it!), but each County (or City) SHOULD have:-
16 x 3 day (110 or 120 overs a day) Championship games in the 2 Divisions (starting on Tuesdays)
16 x T20 games in 2 Regional Divisions (on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons)
16 x 50 over games in 2 Regional Divisions OR 8 x 50 over games AND 8 x 'Big Bash / IPL style T20' City games (on Sundays or Bank Holiday Mondays).

Thereby ensuring we have 'popular' cricket most weekends through the summer - and I don't think that 4 and a half days (with the 16 x 50 over games) or 4 days (with the 8 x 50 over and the new City T20 games) cricket a week on average, is too much to be asking of players - or is it?!

Agreed.

Up to today and since we started our T20 campaign against Notts on 4th July we've played 10 T20's and a CCD2 game that lasted 3 days.

So in high summer, with the sun blazing down and a ready made audience on tap, we've played cricket on 13 days out of 36 - just over 36% of the days available.

Notwithstanding that - Warwickshire have not sent foot in the county to play a game since Friday 20th July - 20 days of that 36.

The ECB made a big deal about reducing CC games by 2 to 14 in total and playing in blocks. But the current mess has left the Blast drawn out over more than 7 weeks - longer actually than the IPL or BBL and with QF's and Finals Day still to come.

Something has gone badly wrong when, in a brilliant summer like this, county members and supporters are starved of cricket for days and weeks on end with weekends a wasteland.
[-] The following 2 users Like DaveC's post:
Leicester Exile, paulbear
I've said it many times cricket's administrators and the players have got to realise they are in the entertainment business and therefore should be performing when the public are able and want to attend.
LE - aka John
Looks like a comprehensive win tonight. Pollock 12 off first 2 balls of the innings must have been something to see.

Should Bell be considered for the England T20 side - he has rattled up some cracking scores this season.
LE - aka John
(09-08-2018, 09:38 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Looks like a comprehensive win tonight. Pollock 12 off first 2 balls of the innings must have been something to see.

Should Bell be considered for the England T20 side - he has rattled up some cracking scores this season.

It looked a more balanced team tonight LE. Well paced run chase, better fielding & some tight bowling. OHD very good. Bell is in the form of his life, a joy to watch. Good crowd for a Thursday night.
Yes DaveC, I have talked peoples ears off about the lack of cricket available, when people can watch it. No cricket at weekends is just laughable and I could imagine anyone in the U.S.A trying to market this game over there and saying, "Carry on with the weekend shopping and cutting the grass, etc, 'cos we sure as hell ain't gonna show any games when you're off work."
Good performance tonight and goes to show that wickets in the powerplay can more or less win you the game. Felt sorry for Josh, you can tell he's not played much 1st XI cricket, hence the full tosses and long hops but that aside, I though he was pretty good. We miss a 6th bowler, we had CDG but his mate was reluctant to bowl him but luckily the job got done. Like I posted the other day, we are now right back in with a shout whereas 2 weeks back we looked awful. Keep going lads.
I’d go further than this, it does seem that cricket as a whole in the UK has a confused sense of purpose.   In my 26 years involved in the game we’ve seen three day CC abandoned to improve the Test team, two divisions, 40 overs one day games, 45, 50 overs. T20 invented to snap a decline in attendances. It seems every tweak creates another issue in another era. It does make me wonder what where this lack of confidence in the game comes from and where it will end up. 

Of course it could just be inept administration. There was a great article today in The Guardian by Matthew Engel who dug up that the ECB is at its most powerful and centralised ever. They could force through any crackpot proposal in the coming years and us as the counties would be at out least able to resist it. 

Changes soon, I’m quite sure.

(09-08-2018, 05:30 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I've said it many times cricket's administrators and the players have got to realise they are in the entertainment business and therefore should be performing when the public are able and want to attend.
(09-08-2018, 09:38 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Should Bell be considered for the England T20 side - he has rattled up some cracking scores this season.

I'd go further and suggest that he should be considered for the test team as well - he can't do any worse than Malan!
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
Leicester Exile
(09-08-2018, 11:29 PM)Tayls79 Wrote: I’d go further than this, it does seem that cricket as a whole in the UK has a confused sense of purpose.   In my 26 years involved in the game we’ve seen three day CC abandoned to improve the Test team, two divisions, 40 overs one day games, 45, 50 overs. T20 invented to snap a decline in attendances. It seems every tweak creates another issue in another era. It does make me wonder what where this lack of confidence in the game comes from and where it will end up. 

Of course it could just be inept administration. There was a great article today in The Guardian by Matthew Engel who dug up that the ECB is at its most powerful and centralised ever. They could force through any crackpot proposal in the coming years and us as the counties would be at out least able to resist it. 

(09-08-2018, 05:30 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I've said it many times cricket's administrators and the players have got to realise they are in the entertainment business and therefore should be performing when the public are able and want to attend.
The Test fixture list is no better. The first India Test had days four and five scheduled for the weekend. Matches lasting five days are rare nowadays.
(09-08-2018, 11:29 PM)Tayls79 Wrote: I’d go further than this, it does seem that cricket as a whole in the UK has a confused sense of purpose.   In my 26 years involved in the game we’ve seen three day CC abandoned to improve the Test team, two divisions, 40 overs one day games, 45, 50 overs. T20 invented to snap a decline in attendances. It seems every tweak creates another issue in another era. It does make me wonder what where this lack of confidence in the game comes from and where it will end up. 

Here is a link to the Matthew Engel article:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2...undred-ecb
My report on the game:
https://deepextracover.com/2018/08/bears...pes-alive/
The table still doesn't make great reading but, as others have said, the Lancashire games look crucial.  I was trying to keep an eye on the Sky coverage of the Roses match which was on the TV in the press box; and Lancs do look to be a useful T20 outfit.
Not sure what has happened to last year's T20 champions - they looked beaten last night well before the end.

Added to this - 16 County Championship Games + 16 T20 games + 8  50 Over Cup Games adds up to 88 days. That is not even 3 months. With the season being 5 months long from mid-April to mid-September half those days would be a Saturday and Sunday.

As the T20 is not played on a league basis the conference could easily be a mirror of the CC league so that the T20 could follow or precede the CC match.  The 50 over competition could then be played mid-week.

Warks would play T20 on a Friday and then start a CC on the Saturday with a late start or even start the CC on a Sunday.
ALternatively CC could be played Wed to Sat and the T20 held on Sunday.

I am sure there is something I have overlooked but can be sorted - the idea all forms of the game can be played throughout the summer and the weekends can be fully used.

Anyway that's my contribution to the Campaign for Real Cricket!!
LE - aka John
We did some more working out last night!

10 T20s tots up to 400 overs. Add that to the 3 days v Middlesex in CCD2 (and it wasn't a full 3rd day - 268 overs bowled in the match).

So a total of 668 overs played over 36 days.

Divide that by 96 gives just over the equivalent of fewer than 7 days actual playing time in first class terms.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that English domestic cricket has awarded itself a midsummer break!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
Warleybear