Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lancashire Lightning v Birmingham Bears
Here is a preview from my colleague Scott Hunt:
https://deepextracover.com/2018/08/vital...ham-bears/
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Terrible tonight again.

We have had too many of these performances. Things are not right when our form is so dramatically up and down.

Lack of consistency smacks of a lack of confidence because the talent is there.

Lancashire are no better than us but they have far better plans in place and seem to know what is needed.

Embarrassing defeats seem to be commonplace the last couple of seasons across all formats.

Time to send De Grandhomme & Elliot home and keep our own kids in there.
This is a bit pathetic...we'll need other results to go our way now, assuming that we lose this, as it looks like we will...
Proud to be a Bear
We have no chance of qualifying. We have got to play these again and then Worcester who will love seeing us off.

Over reliant on 3 or 4 players too often which has been our problem for a few years now.
We can still qualify (I think) but it's no good if we can't chase anything over 175. I Pollock could stay in for 8-10 overs then we might do it but he rarely gets past the powerplay and it makes me wonder just how long we will keep this policy going if it keeps failing. Our 2 T20 Kiwi's are not up to the job if we go to the trouble of getting players in for this competition, then they should be dynamic players who have made an impact in other T20 teams overseas. Our middle order has no ability to score heavily and quickly which is needed in this format.
Always said money should only be spent on overseas players if they are likely to put extra bums on seats or are better than players their selection will keep out. On both counts these two have failed miserably
LE - aka John
Elliott is far and away our leading wicket taker and has the second best economy (excluding Poysden who's only played two matches) His batting hasn't been great but I can't really think of anyone who would replace him who would do better.

Pollock now averages less than 15. Need more from him over the remaining matches.
Proud to be a Bear
EB it is not a matter of who would replace him but is he better than who is available. As I am watching from afar I will leave it to others to answer that one.
LE - aka John
In terms of who is available from our team, then no, there is no one who has been able to contain better than him but if you look at the various economy rates of other bowlers, that is not too difficult. Even Woakes got smashed about in a few games and we have seen over the years just how inconsistent OHD, De Grandeholme, Poysden, Stone and Barker can be. It's Elliott's batting that doesn't really give confidence and he does not look as though he can score quickly and change a game. If we though we were getting 2 Kiwi allrounders last season, then we've been robbed as one can bat quickly but is not trusted to bowl and one is economical but does score enough runs or with any speed so it's like getting half any allrounder multiplied by two. Also, Elliott's one-eyed view of winning the toss and just inserting has been completely ridiculous and might have cost us last years final.
(11-08-2018, 10:28 AM)paulbear Wrote: In terms of who is available from our team, then no, there is no one who has been able to contain better than him but if you look at the various economy rates of other bowlers, that is not too difficult. Even Woakes got smashed about in a few games and we have seen over the years just how inconsistent OHD, De Grandeholme, Poysden, Stone and Barker can be. It's Elliott's batting that doesn't really give confidence and he does not look as though he can score quickly and change a game. If we though we were getting 2 Kiwi allrounders last season, then we've been robbed as one can bat quickly but is not trusted to bowl and one is economical but does score enough runs or with any speed so it's like getting half any allrounder multiplied by two. Also, Elliott's one-eyed view of winning the toss and just inserting has been completely ridiculous and might have cost us last years final.

I hear a lot of "whataboutery" regarding Ellliot and CDG.

I know we can point at specific averages and the odd individual performance but in truth have either made significant, consistent contributions over the 2 seasons they've been engaged?

Do you ever feel confident when either walks to the crease or is thrown the ball?

I would argue not. When you look round the counties at other engaged overseas players I think we've not chosen well here. And,  as pb says, we've also been hamstrung by some pretty ordinary captaincy and tactics from Elliot.

The sense I get is that the management and coaching staff looked at last year's performance and thought "job done". We've failed to evolve our approach and tactics this season and as a result we've been overtaken again. The bowling lacks penetration and the batting is underpowered. In an era where 180-200 is approaching par we're still stuck in a 150-170 range that we struggle to break out of time and time again.

Still at least the CC returns next weekend!
DaveC - I like your final sentence!!!
LE - aka John