Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Pears 'Seconds' 4 day Friendly
We started a 4 day Friendly with Worcester, at Barnt Green yesterday (just down the road for me).  And it's hardly a 'Second' team that's playing:-

Rhodes
Sibley
Banks
Trott
Lamb
Thomson
Mellor
Barker
Panayi
Wright
Sidebottom
Poysden

Obviously the whole First Team squad who won't involved in the T20 tomorrow (so Josh will be dropped - no surprise - but Thomson as well !?) - preparing for the final CC games ?

Hardly any play yesterday, because of rain.  Looking forward to going down today though.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
Bears 150-0 at Lunch.  Rhodes 75 NO, Sibley 74 NO - and that is against a strong Worcester attack (including Magoffin, Morris & Tongue).
Maybe this is a prototype for what happens when (if) The Hundred ever gets going. The white ball people disappear but the County Championship continues with the remaining players. From the look of these squads, it would still be a pretty good standard.

If it gets red ball cricket played in the summer, I wouldn't really mind.
A wonderful days' play (apart from the weather - though it was OK).  Bears finished on 470-4 declared (I didn't stop to see the start of the Worcester innings).  Banks got a smashing century (155 NO from 157 balls) and every batsman got amongst the runs.  Rhodes, Sibley and Trott all unlucky not to get tons.
I have seen 8 of that squad in the 1st XI cc this season and that is some side we have put out. In light of what we have seen in the T20 so far, can someone pop their head around the dressing room door and say "Don't overdo it tomorrow and can you all be ready at short notice to go to home HQ if needed for 7pm".
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile
A really good morning session for our bowlers - Worcester 111 for 7 at Lunch.  2 wickets each for Barker, Wright & Panayi and 1 for Rhodes; Sidebottom has also bowled.  Interesting that Thomson and Poysden have not bowled this morning (and I see Singh is out there) - I wonder whether Poysden and/or Thomson have gone up the road to Edgbaston for the T20 ?!  With Barker and Wright bowling today, I guess they won't be involved with the Bears later (and Stone is fit) ?
(15-08-2018, 01:25 PM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: A really good morning session for our bowlers - Worcester 111 for 7 at Lunch.  2 wickets each for Barker, Wright & Panayi and 1 for Rhodes; Sidebottom has also bowled.  Interesting that Thomson and Poysden have not bowled this morning (and I see Singh is out there) - I wonder whether Poysden and/or Thomson have gone up the road to Edgbaston for the T20 ?!  With Barker and Wright bowling today, I guess they won't be involved with the Bears later (and Stone is fit) ?

Worcester bowled out for 214 and are now following on.  Panayi ended up with 3 wickets and Singh & Lamb got 1 each.
Excellent Bears day all round really.
It finished yesterday with Worcester on 155 for 7.  They were in big trouble (on 113 for 7) and likely to lose in 3 days, until Tongue made 32 - and he's still there.  2 wickets for Wright, Sidebottom & Rhodes and 1 for Panayi.  Let's hope the weather doesn't stop an early win today (I won't be going !).

I was right about Alex and Josh being withdrawn for the T20 match - and pleased that Josh played (got a wicket and was fairly economical).  Such a shame that he's off to Headingley though - he still has great potential (and a decent record already).  Good luck to him there though (except when the plays us !) - Headingley is much kinder to spinners than Edgbaston.
Both clubs agreed to finish the match at the end of 3 days, rather than just have an hour or two (hopefully!) getting the remaining 3 Worcester wickets yesterday.  Still, it was a very good all round Bears performance.  Sets a lot of players up very nicely for the Championship match on Sunday.