Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears at Colwyn Bay
Anybody there? On a sunny day it's a lovely little ground with a reputation for being an easy batting track. I saw Ashwell Prince and Alviro Petersen put on something over 400 together a couple of years back.

The side we have put out should be strong enough to totally smash Glamorgan. First job done: 203 all out. Now let the batsmen enjoy themselves for most of the next two days then run through the Welshmen again.

COYB
(29-08-2018, 04:42 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: Anybody there? On a sunny day it's a lovely little ground with a reputation for being an easy batting track. I saw Ashwell Prince and Alviro Petersen put on something over 400 together a couple of years back.

The side we have put out should be strong enough to totally smash Glamorgan. First job done: 203 all out. Now let the batsmen enjoy themselves for most of the next two days then run through the Welshmen again.

COYB

Yes am there for 3 days. Lovely ground, good crowd and a good day’s cricket. Lucky with the weather as well - sunny after some early drizzle but boy is the wind chilly! Lots of Bears fans have made the trip which is nice to see.
Good to see someone there from our 'Bearsfans Forum'. Pity Trotty got out just before close. As I don't go to many away games by rule (i.e. Too lazy - I do work 9-5 and stand up all day and done it for 34 years) can someone who has gone to any of the away games please tell me - Has our beloved Mr Trott got good rounds of applause as he will not be playing at any of these grounds again and all the CC away games for him are now all, farewells.
Here also, first visit, wonderful venue re Trott, may have been banter but there were boos when hr walked to the wicket, Bell looking good - his cover drives very Amy Jones esque100+lead and we win the game, the ball did a bit first hour then seemed to settle down and Chris Wright bowled better than his figures suggested beating the bat frequently, Meschede batted intelligently for them and then extracted some life out of the pitch late on
Wright bowled well in his first spell and was unlucky not to get wickets but in his second he lost both line and length being punished time and again for leg side delivereries. Patel needlessly and inexplicably persisted with him and Meschede filled his boots, it was unnecessary and we had options, plus it gifted Glamorgan some very useful last wicket runs. (30 odd for the last wicket, if I'm not mistaken, added to 32 extras in a total of 203) I'm sure that even Chris Wright wondered why he was continually given the ball for his last 3/4 overs I know many of his team mates did.
Sussex have failed to pick up any batting points against Middlesex and only just passed Middlesex's first innings score, so if we can pick up a few batting points and win we'll move further ahead of them, even if they win as well.
Proud to be a Bear
Century for Bell, great stuff. And he's just passed 20,000 first class runs!
Proud to be a Bear
Ian is in the wrong side, he should be down in Southampton right now...
Paul fondled my onion bags.
[-] The following 2 users Like Lilly's post:
Leicester Exile, paulbear
Yes on social media, the clamour for Ian Bell's recall is almost deafening.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Couldn't possibly do any worse
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Perhaps....

Firstly it brilliant to see Bell has a big score ... A double century is a fine achievement.

But unfortunately the standard of some of what I have seen this year in Division 2 has been fairly poor (and it isn't just me who thinks that). So, in my opinion, England need to move forward with youth .... Bar the odd exception, Division 2 these days doesn't really prove much when it comes to test cricket.....
Double ton up for Ian. Could he make an England comeback - given his form this year compared to several in the England side, I think so.
LE - aka John
If they don't pick him soon, given England's current batting woes, then they never will again!
Proud to be a Bear
Seems there was pretty much universal good will for Belly today, the comments in The Guardians CC blog we’re particulalry enamoured with the “Eternal Sledgehammer of Justice”

What I was almost as happy to see was that 60-odd for Sam Hain. It seems ages since he made a meaningful contribution, and necessary seeing as he will be Trott’s replacement next season.

Weird day looking at the England and Sussex/Middlesex game, the latter looks like it is shaping up well for us - and that really would set us up nicely for the end of the season.
(30-08-2018, 02:01 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Century for Bell, great stuff. And he's just passed 20,000 first class runs!

So I went looking for my trusty Playfair Cricket Annual to see how many other players there are still appearing in County Championship cricket that have passed 20,000 runs. It seems there are three: one an ex-Bear and the others England opening batsmen (!). They aren't hard to guess but I'll leave that with you.

It will be a while before anybody else gets to 20,000 runs. Next highest is a certain IJL Trott, who won't get there this year. About 38,000 first class runs between Trott & Bell. We have been blessed.
(31-08-2018, 09:02 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote:
(30-08-2018, 02:01 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Century for Bell, great stuff. And he's just passed 20,000 first class runs!

So I went looking for my trusty Playfair Cricket Annual to see how many other players there are still appearing in County Championship cricket that have passed 20,000 runs. It seems there are three: one an ex-Bear and the others England opening batsmen (!). They aren't hard to guess but I'll leave that with you.

It will be a while before anybody else gets to 20,000 runs. Next highest is a certain IJL Trott, who won't get there this year. About 38,000 first class runs between Trott & Bell. We have been blessed.

I came up with Cook and Trescothick without too much trouble but I struggled with the ex-Bear until I thought of our good friend Shiv - and sure enough, he qualifies. Age 44 and still going strong, so on that basis, we might have plenty of years of Ian Bell to come.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(31-08-2018, 11:02 AM)Terry Wrote:
(31-08-2018, 09:02 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote:

I came up with Cook and Trescothick without too much trouble but I struggled with the ex-Bear until I thought of our good friend Shiv - and sure enough, he qualifies. Age 44 and still going strong, so on that basis, we might have plenty of years of Ian Bell to come.

Yes, I got Cook and Trescothick as well and thought that the other was probably an overseas player but didn't think of Shiv! Last season there would have been another who fit the bill as well...
Proud to be a Bear
Last season there would have been another who fit the bill as well...

Sangakkara - another guy who was a pleasure to watch.

Shiv has never been one to waste much energy in the field. Maybe that's why he is still going.
Worth mentioning that Jeetan has also passed 800 first class wickets in this match, a fine achievement.

Sussex have lost, which is also good news!
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
Warleybear
Yes .... Good win for the bears.