Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview with Neil Snowball
Here is my latest interview with Neil Snowball:
https://deepextracover.com/2018/12/warwi...tra-cover/
You will note two new words that are bound to make it into the next edition of the Oxford English dictionary - "bearification" and "Moeened".
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
parkfield bear
(14-12-2018, 11:06 AM)Terry Wrote: Here is my latest interview with Neil Snowball:
You will note two new words that are bound to make it into the next edition of the Oxford English dictionary - "bearification" and "Moeened".

Interesting read. So, still not looking for a reliable all-rounder to replace Keith Barker. I think that decision will come back to bite us and the lower middle order which has saved our batting so many times looks weaker. I am correct that both Miles and Norwell are at best number 9 and 10's?
(14-12-2018, 02:32 PM)Northfieldbear Wrote:
(14-12-2018, 11:06 AM)Terry Wrote: Here is my latest interview with Neil Snowball:

Interesting read. So, still not looking for a reliable all-rounder to replace Keith Barker. I think that decision will come back to bite us and the lower middle order which has saved our batting so many times looks weaker. I am correct that both Miles and Norwell are at best number 9 and 10's?

Both with first-class batting averages in the mid-teens so I think number 9/10 looks about right unless they have hidden talents that will emerge next season
Players of colour could it be they are simply not good enough? Just because we live in a area of a high asian population doesn't mean you have to have them in your squad to make up the numbers to satisfy the PC brigade. Surely they have to earn the right to become professionals, otherwise it could stop somebody who is good enough coming into the professional ranks. If they are good enough i really don't care what colour skin they are. When Singh was realaesed i was surprised,only 22, in the 17 season seemed to have a lot of potential good figures really one to look out for the future. But reading between the lines from what Neil said maybe didn't have a good attitude. Maybe they haven't given up on in though with him saying they are in touch with him. Neil's comment about the hotel, in the Autumn edition of beyond the boundary he said " a hotel, conference, and banqueting area's, and redevelopment of the Priory, and Raglan stands". I was thinking this project was going to all in one building. Does that now mean given his quote to you Terry that a hotel is not going to be part of the plans i have just mentioned? Wait and see eh.
I agree that players of colour need to be good enough; and I think your guess about Sunny Singh is about right.  As Neil says in the interview, the puzzle is why the talent at the bottom of the pyramid isn't reaching the top.
As for the hotel, I think there are two possibilities. Calthorpe Estates have planning permission for a hotel across the road from the ground; and the Club is encouraging them to get on and build it. There would be no direct money coming to the Club from this but it would make the conference and events offering much more appealing if accommodation were available so close to hand.
The other option is that, if Calthorpe Estates continue to drag their feet, the Club builds its own hotel in the next development phase, as they have done at Old Trafford and at Southampton.
(14-12-2018, 02:58 PM)Terry Wrote:
(14-12-2018, 02:32 PM)Northfieldbear Wrote:

Both with first-class batting averages in the mid-teens so I think number 9/10 looks about right unless they have hidden talents that will emerge next season

Going to be a long tail next season. Tim Ambrose probably batting at 7, Jeetan Patel at 8, then Stone, Miles, Norwell and Sidebottom filling the last three batting places. Unless England are going to release Woakes for CC games?
(14-12-2018, 05:52 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Players of colour could it be they are simply not good enough? Just because we live in a area of a high asian population doesn't mean you have to  have them in your squad to make up the numbers to satisfy the PC brigade. Surely they have to earn the right to become professionals, otherwise it could stop somebody who is good enough coming into the professional ranks. If they are good enough i really don't care what colour skin they are. When Singh was realaesed i was surprised,only 22,  in the 17 season seemed to have a lot of potential good figures really one to look out for the future. But reading between the lines from what Neil said maybe didn't have a good attitude. Maybe they haven't given up on in though with him saying they are in touch with him. Neil's comment about the hotel, in the Autumn edition of beyond the boundary he said " a hotel, conference, and banqueting area's, and redevelopment of the Priory, and Raglan stands". I was thinking this project was going to all in one building. Does that now mean given his quote to you Terry that a hotel is not going to be part of the plans i have just mentioned? Wait and see eh.
Good article, players aren't released because of skin colour but ability, attitude, age or finance-as many white cricketers have been released in the same time scale, it's not the first time this journalist has questioned the club's motives on this subject yet in this interview he covers everything except women's cricket,so it's OK to be sexist
South Africa have to pick a certain amount of non-white players and has made them shoot themselves in the foot on so many occasions because they have had to pick weaker sides just to try and fit certain players in because they have this stupid rule. I doubt the club will ever get to this point - As long as they don't take the BBC as an example with their very PC way of making sure that every programme has a mixed bag of presenters rather than just choosing the best.
(15-12-2018, 12:32 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(14-12-2018, 05:52 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Players of colour could it be they are simply not good enough? Just because we live in a area of a high asian population doesn't mean you have to  have them in your squad to make up the numbers to satisfy the PC brigade. Surely they have to earn the right to become professionals, otherwise it could stop somebody who is good enough coming into the professional ranks. If they are good enough i really don't care what colour skin they are. When Singh was realaesed i was surprised,only 22,  in the 17 season seemed to have a lot of potential good figures really one to look out for the future. But reading between the lines from what Neil said maybe didn't have a good attitude. Maybe they haven't given up on in though with him saying they are in touch with him. Neil's comment about the hotel, in the Autumn edition of beyond the boundary he said " a hotel, conference, and banqueting area's, and redevelopment of the Priory, and Raglan stands". I was thinking this project was going to all in one building. Does that now mean given his quote to you Terry that a hotel is not going to be part of the plans i have just mentioned? Wait and see eh.
Good article, players aren't released because of skin colour but ability, attitude, age or finance-as many white cricketers have been released in the same time scale, it's not the first time this journalist has questioned the club's motives on this subject yet in this interview he covers everything except women's cricket,so it's OK to be sexist

And a Merry Christmas to you, too, Simon!
You are right that this isn't the first time I have questioned the club's motives on the absence of non-white players in the squad because I have never done so.  In my season's review (which I presume is the other article you are referring to), I specifically rejected any question of discrimination by the club and there is no such suggestion in the Snowball interview either.
My own motives in pointing out the situation have nothing to do with political correctness. They are related to my concern for the club and wanting it to be successful both on and off the field - exactly the same point that Neil Snowball makes when he says about the efforts to address the issue:
"We aren’t doing all that for altruistic reasons. It’s a core part of our business because a significant proportion of the population in our catchment area is South Asian."
I am certainly not thinking about quotas or selecting/retaining players who are not good enough.  But for a club that, in my view quite rightly, has stated a desire to reach out to the South Asian community, the current situation is, at best, uncomfortable.  So I applaud the steps Neil Snowball and the club are taking.
I often wonder how Asian players feel amongst a side full of players from a different background and if indeed they feel part of a team. Fred Trueman once said that when Yorkshire used to get singled out for not having enough Asian players, it used to really annoy him because he said when he talked to Asian young cricketers, "...All they kept telling me was that they want to play for Pakistan and India so why should Yorkshire develop them as cricketers when they really want to play elsewhere..." Obviously how they would get to play for either of those Test sides whilst being nurtured by an English county is another argument but I think he was questioning their commitment in the face of getting a chance to play for a county.
(15-12-2018, 11:04 AM)paulbear Wrote: I often wonder how Asian players feel amongst a side full of players from a different background and if indeed they feel part of a team. Fred Trueman once said that when Yorkshire used to get singled out for not having enough Asian players, it used to really annoy him because he said when he talked to Asian young cricketers, "...All they kept telling me was that they want to play for Pakistan and India so why should Yorkshire develop them as cricketers when they really want to play elsewhere..." Obviously how they would get to play for either of those Test sides whilst being nurtured by an English county is another argument but I think he was questioning their commitment in the face of getting a chance to play for a county.

Fred was a magnificent bowler, easily the best I have ever seen. 
But if I wanted guidance on how to run a county club in the 21st century, I think I would look elsewhere.  It wasn't just Fred.  In the last third of the 20th century, Yorkshire were living in a time warp.  They failed to win the County Championship once between 1969 and 2001, having won seven titles in the previous 10 years.  During the whole of that time, they made only the most minimal efforts to tap into the pool of Yorkshire born ethnic minority cricketers; and they only employed their first overseas professional in 1992.  No British-born Asian played for Yorkshire until 2003.
Yes but it isn't as though Yorkshire didn't have good players during that time, it is more a case of them not winning the title because all the other counties just filled their boots with overseas players and just looked so much stronger.
(15-12-2018, 03:30 PM)paulbear Wrote: Yes but it isn't as though Yorkshire didn't have good players during that time, it is more a case of them not winning the title because all the other counties just filled their boots with overseas players and just looked so much stronger.
Well that's really my point.  The rest of the world had moved on and Yorkshire were stubbornly stuck in their time warp.  Of course, they might have done slightly better if they hadn't wasted so much energy arguing with each other.
Why all this talk of the Asian community - I don't recall a similar conversation regarding the Caribbean community! Besides how can a British born person be called Asian? If they are to have a continental label surely it should be European. Integration will never succeed while people relate to their ancestor's birth place instead of identifying with their own place of birth.
LE - aka John
Okay then if we are getting all BBC PC on things, British Asian, is that alright and I would have thought that most BA's would not mind being called Asian, they are obviously going to have Asian blood through parenthood so why call them anything else. How else would we have this conversation if we just referred to Asian's as British, no one would have any idea who we were referring to.

There was a very good pice in the Telegraph yesterday by Paul Hayward about how Manchester United had completely lost their identity in trying to create a brand.

Did make me chuckle as WCCC lost touch with its identity and geography trying to create three brands.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
rednalbear
(19-12-2018, 10:20 AM)Jon Wrote:

There was a very good pice in the Telegraph yesterday by Paul Hayward about how Manchester United had completely lost their identity in trying to create a brand.

Did make me chuckle as WCCC lost touch with its identity and geography trying to create three brands.

I was hoping that you might see Neil's comments about wanting to make more of the history of the club as a positive development.
Some people aren't capable of thinking positively.
Proud to be a Bear
(19-12-2018, 01:02 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Some people aren't capable of thinking positively.
That's a bit of a negative thought but I know what you mean!
(19-12-2018, 11:38 AM)Terry Wrote:
(19-12-2018, 10:20 AM)Jon Wrote:

I was hoping that you might see Neil's comments about wanting to make more of the history of the club as a positive development.