Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaron Thomason
Released, seems strange to me?
(10-06-2019, 10:09 AM)bear4life Wrote: Released, seems strange to me?

I agree, it seems very strange.  At the beginning of the season, he was on the verge of the First team, then got 'injured'.  I wonder whether the injury was an excuse for dropping him for other reasons ?  He has been playing regularly for West Brom Dartmouth, since the start of the season.
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
(10-06-2019, 10:42 AM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 10:09 AM)bear4life Wrote: Released, seems strange to me?

I agree, it seems very strange.  At the beginning of the season, he was on the verge of the First team, then got 'injured'.  I wonder whether the injury was an excuse for dropping him for other reasons ?  He has been playing regularly for West Brom Dartmouth, since the start of the season.

I think he's been pretty much a regular for Dartmouth this season and had been performing well.  He also had a good start for both our Seconds and First team this year.  He played for the Firsts in the Leeds / Bradford MCCU 3 day game in April - getting 62NO and taking 5 wickets for 6 runs in one innings and in a First team white ball warm up game against Worcester, getting 23 NO. 

It is most peculiar that we've released him, especially at this stage of the season. I agree with BR, there must be other reasons for him to being going!  As he's been playing for WBD, I doubt if it's an injury problem, but it could be a bust up with Management; I hope it's not a 'Wagg situation'!
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
Well if it is a Wagg situation he could run for leader of the Tory party!!!!

it is noticeable that the club do release players who on paper would appear to be a good prospect. Poysden to name but one recent case.
LE - aka John
If it is a Wagg situation why aren't the club supporting him?
(10-06-2019, 11:27 AM)bear4life Wrote: If it is a Wagg situation why aren't the club supporting him?

I don't think it would be a 'Wagg situation', just that it is a possible answer for releasing him so quickly and at this stage of the season, especially has he has been performing so well in the last couple of months. It is possible that a 'health' problem has occurred and a 'mutual agreement' to release him, keeps that out of the headlines. A long term injury, which doesn't prevent him from competing in One Day Brum League games, could be another possibility. I think the most likely reason, is a bust up with someone on the Management or Coaching team.
(10-06-2019, 11:21 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Well if it is a Wagg situation he could run for leader of the Tory party!!!!

it is noticeable that the club do release players who on paper would appear to be a good prospect. Poysden to name but one recent case.

Yes, but what a strange time of the season to do it.  More importantly, he has been performing well, more regularly than Josh and more recently.
By releasing him now, the club is allowing Aaron the maximum opportunity to gain a contract with a new county, especially as the T20 competitions are now starting at first and second team level.

Sometimes, in any job, you need to move to a new environment to show what you are truly capable of achieving.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Looks as if he might be looking to further his career on the south coast, assuming this is the same A D Thomason - if so, he hasn't let the grass grow under his feet!

http://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#madd2d44d-71...05a03c391f
Fair play to him, he won't be short of offers,, good player. Another good one that we've let get away.
(11-06-2019, 05:33 PM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Looks as if he might be looking to further his career on the south coast, assuming this is the same A D Thomason - if so, he hasn't let the grass grow under his feet!

It must be our Aaron.  I wonder whether it was set up as a 'swap deal' when we got Burgess ?  Perhaps Sussex needed an All Rounder, as much as we needed a Batsman / Wicketkeeper ?
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
Not sure. Burgess turned down a new deal at Sussex.
(11-06-2019, 08:45 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 05:33 PM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Looks as if he might be looking to further his career on the south coast, assuming this is the same A D Thomason - if so, he hasn't let the grass grow under his feet!

It must be our Aaron.  I  wonder whether it was set up as a 'swap deal' when we got Burgess ?  Perhaps Sussex needed an All Rounder, as much as we needed a Batsman / Wicketkeeper ?

Yep, I'd say that was very likely.  It's probably taken a couple of weeks for us to agree a Release for him and for Sussex to agree terms to take him?

I'd say we needed a promising young all rounder as much as Sussex, but I wish him well.  In the few First team games he had (mainly One Days), he never let us down.  One we could well miss and come to regret letting go?  I wonder how long before we realise that and add him to that long list!
Thomason signs for Sussex:
https://sussexcricket.co.uk/news/aaron-t...gns-sussex
Whatever the reasons for his departure from Edgbaston, this looks like a great opportunity for a fresh start, so I wish him well.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Thomason straight into the squad for the 4day game v Worcestershire.
(17-06-2019, 10:44 PM)bear4life Wrote: Thomason straight into the squad for the 4day game v Worcestershire.

He's going to do well for Sussex.  Can't believe we've let him go !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bald Reynard's post:
The Lickey Banker
(17-06-2019, 10:44 PM)bear4life Wrote: Thomason straight into the squad for the 4day game v Worcestershire.

Aaron is playing - he's in at Number 9.  Worcester won the toss and put Sussex in.
Made 90 batting number 10.
(21-06-2019, 04:33 PM)bear4life Wrote: Made 90 batting number 10.

I said we'd miss him and come to regret releasing him.  It's taken him less than a week, to prove Management's decision was wrong !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bald Reynard's post:
The Lickey Banker
(21-06-2019, 05:28 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(21-06-2019, 04:33 PM)bear4life Wrote: Made 90 batting number 10.

I said we'd miss him and come to regret releasing him.  It's taken him less than a week, to prove Management's  decision was wrong !

No mucking about either, 90 from just 107 balls! We'll not only miss him all round ability, we'll miss his bravery and passion, he has always given his heart and soul to the Bears (and Dartmouth).