Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd Rankin is back ......
...... at Derbyshire !  They've taken him on for the remainder of their T20 campaign.

I wonder if we considered him, before going for Edwards.  Although similar ages, FE has always been the better, faster bowler - and is probably still fitter.  But they both give very similar batting options !
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
(02-08-2019, 04:03 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: ...... at Derbyshire !  They've taken him on for the remainder of their T20 campaign.

I wonder if we considered him, before going for Edwards.  Although similar ages, FE has always been the better, faster bowler - and is probably still fitter.  But they both give very similar batting options !

Whilst I'm all in favour of "Once a Bear, Always a Bear", sometimes it's better if the parting of the ways is final.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(02-08-2019, 04:03 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: ...... at Derbyshire !  They've taken him on for the remainder of their T20 campaign.

About the same as Pollock
By the looks of it Boyd is playing for Derbyshire as an Overseas player

So I don't think we could sign him even if we wanted to as Jeets and Ashton Agar are our overseas pros.  But we could sign Fidel Edwards because he's a Kolpak.

So to sum up.  Boyd Rankin born in Derry, Northern Island, a UK citizen who has played cricket for England (as well as Ireland) is an overseas player, but

Fidel Edwards, born St Peters Barbados who has played test cricket for West Indies, but not England (yet) isn't.

Explain that, using one side of the paper only and showing your workings.  I'm surprised it's legal to make UK born players count as overseas but apparently not.
RB
http://sideoncricket.blogspot.com/2019/0...nt-xi.html
A ridiculous situation, but nothing compared to our national, white ball, side been captained by a non uk citizen.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Edwards is a Kolpak?
(03-08-2019, 08:27 PM)bear4life Wrote: Edwards is a Kolpak?
Think so.  He's on the kolpak list here

I think Morgan captaining the one day side is OK.  Prior to Ireland getting full status the "England" team was always a composite side for the British Isles.  Quite a lot of composite teams around, the West Indies being the most notable.  
http://sideoncricket.blogspot.com/
All the West Indies players have, and are citizens of, one of the countries making up the West Indies side.

Morgan is not, and never has held a UK passport or been a UK citizen.

It is not unreasonable to expect a person representing a county at international sport to be a citizen of that country.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(04-08-2019, 01:45 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: All the West Indies players have, and are citizens of, one of the countries making up the West Indies side.

It is not unreasonable to expect a person representing a county at international sport to be a citizen of that country.

While I agree with you TGM Guyana is hardly a country in the West Indies being as it is on the South America mainland.
LE - aka John
True, but it was a British Colony, which is why it was included in the West Indies for cricket.

Guyana was the birthplace, and home, for many great West Indies players, including 3 members of our 1972 championship winning side.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I’m pretty sure this is false, just checked three sources (Irish Times, BBC and Wikipedia) that state Morgan is a UK passport holder since birth on the basis his mother is English. FWIW, there isn’t a requirement to be a citizen of a country to play for them. Just five years residency on the assumption you haven’t played for another country.

The “NI question” is a bit odd just now, but in time it will seem less weird as Ireland becomes a more established test nation. It’s exactly the same scenario with rugby, and there is no confusion. Ulstermen play for Ireland and there is no clamour for players from the region to be regarded as non-overseas players in the English leagues.

I also don’t think there is anything confusing about the Kolpak situation either, though a no deal Brexit in a years time will change matters.

(04-08-2019, 01:45 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: All the West Indies players have, and are citizens of, one of the countries making up the West Indies side.

In Rugby Union the team is classed as ALL Ireland.
If Morgan is a UK passport holder perhaps he can explain why he refused to sing the UK National Anthem although I do believe I saw him singing it during the world cup this season.
LE - aka John
Ah, interesting. Is the cricket team labelled “Republic of...” then?

Re singing the anthem, not sure it’s part of the qualifying criteria, but while we’re on rugby as a comparison, Stuart Barnes never sung it before his ten England caps as he didn’t agree with the words.

(06-08-2019, 06:26 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: In Rugby Union the team is classed as ALL Ireland.
If Morgan is a UK passport holder perhaps he can explain why he refused to sing the UK National Anthem although I do believe I saw him singing it during the world cup this season.