Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allan Donald & Jonathan Trott
I see AD has announced he's leaving his job as Bowling Coach at Kent after 2 years.  Also, Kent have said thay are recruiting a new PERMANENT Bowling (AD has only worked on a Summer contract) and Batting Coach.  Trotty of course has been employed as a Batting Coach there on the same seasonal contractual basis as AD - so I guess he too will be leaving them soon.  I wonder if either (or both) might be leaving Canterbury to come back to their 'spiritual home' ? 

Perhaps Donald, might find a full time return to Edgbaston, difficult to work, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Trotty might be tempted back - as Batting Coach.  I'm sure Farbrace will be only too aware of JT's skills (and temperament) and would consider him taking over from 'Groundsman' Frost, who has put a valiant effort in, but (in my view, at least) doesn't have the necessary expertise, to sort out our batting woes.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
JT would be an excellent choice. Not sure about AD as he never seems to stay long anywhere and I am not sure he is needed.
LE - aka John
(08-08-2019, 09:10 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: JT would be an excellent choice. Not sure about AD as he never seems to stay long anywhere and I am not sure he is needed.

I agree, JT would be a big upgrade on Frosty.  A nice bloke, but really not up to it as Batting Coach - as shown by our batting in recent years. Even last season it took half the summer before it was sorted - and then the likes of Dom Sibley had to go outside (to Gary Palmer) to iron out problems in his technique.  Trotty would be great addition, but Pop Welch is still a better bet than AD (especially as he would still want to only have a summer contract).
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
I am extremely wary of any assumption that, because someone was a great player, they are bound to be a great coach.  In fact, I can't think of too many examples of great players who became top coaches, whereas there are plenty of ordinary players (e.g. our own Paul Farbrace) who have found there niche in coaching.
As another example, if it is true that Gary Palmer sorted out Dom Sibley, it might be worth noting that Palmer's first class batting average was 15.  Graeme Welch, too, was a trundler compared with AD but he is recognised as an excellent bowling coach.
Trotty may or may not be a great coach in the making.  I have no knowledge or belief one way or the other.  I suspect that Farbrace, with his Kent connections, will be able to get the inside story on what he has achieved there.  But I think it would be folly to assume that Trotty would be the best man as batting coach based on his playing record.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Of course you are right, Terry. However in the immediate future I think he would inspire the your 'uns and motivate them. During that period his coaching skills could be observed and long term decisions made accordingly. But something needs to be done regarding the team's batting which has been generally poor for a number of years.
LE - aka John
(08-08-2019, 11:44 PM)Terry Wrote: I am extremely wary of any assumption that, because someone was a great player, they are bound to be a great coach.  In fact, I can't think of too many examples of great players who became top coaches, whereas there are plenty of ordinary players (e.g. our own Paul Farbrace) who have found there niche in coaching.
As another example, if it is true that Gary Palmer sorted out Dom Sibley, it might be worth noting that Palmer's first class batting average was 15.  Graeme Welch, too, was a trundler compared with AD but he is recognised as an excellent bowling coach.
Trotty may or may not be a great coach in the making.  I have no knowledge or belief one way or the other.  I suspect that Farbrace, with his Kent connections, will be able to get the inside story on what he has achieved there.  But I think it would be folly to assume that Trotty would be the best man as batting coach based on his playing record.

I do agree with you Terry, Trotty may not be as good a Coach as he was a player, but the impact he's had and the transformation he appears to have made to Kent's batting quality, in his (short, admittedly) time there, seems to imply that he has the making of a good Coach.  His temperament has never been in question and his commitment to Warwickshire over many years, only adds to his undoubted batting skills.  I think that CV should at least put him in a strong position, IF Management think Frosty's days as Batting Coach are numbered - but of course thye should know only too well what JT's ability and potential is.
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !