Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching Changes ?
OK, I'm going to kick this thorny subject off !  I really do think we're at a point where SIGNIFICANT changes need to be made to our Coaching setup.  In my view Jim Troughton and Tony Frost need to go and we need to look at how effective Ian Westwood has been this season.

JT just doesn't seem to inspire, or have the skills to address our obvious deficiencies this season, TF has not been able to sort out serious batting issues over many seasons.  I believe we need a new First Team Coach and a new Batting Coach.  Of course, Farbrace, with a fresh set of eyes, may also have come to these conclusions - I hope so.

There, it's out there !  Knock me down if you wish, but at least lets have a (heated !?) debate.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
(22-08-2019, 09:20 AM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: OK, I'm going to kick this thorny subject off !  I really do think we're at a point where SIGNIFICANT changes need to be made to our Coaching setup.  In my view Jim Troughton and Tony Frost need to go and we need to look at how effective Ian Westwood has been this season.

JT just doesn't seem to inspire, or have the skills to address our obvious deficiencies this season, TF has not been able to sort out serious batting issues over many seasons.  I believe we need a new First Team Coach and a new Batting Coach.  Of course, Farbrace, with a fresh set of eyes, may also have come to these conclusions - I hope so.

There, it's out there !  Knock me down if you wish, but at least lets have a (heated !?) debate.

I do agree with you TLB. Jim has never really got to grips with the First Coach job - OK, he had a a decent 2018 season, but it was only Div 2.  All his time in Division 1, he has been short of what's needed.  We can't put team selections just down to him, but PF would have looked to him for inside knowledge on what players can do (certainly to start with) and he / they have made some very poor choices.  What's more significant, is his seeming inability to 'stir the team up', give a bit of wisdom to Jeets' decisions and offer a guiding hand.  I agree, he doesn't appear to inspire.

As to TF, many on here will know I have had longstanding doubts about his skills and effectiveness as a Batting Coach.  Nice bloke that he is, he just isn't up to it in that role.

Both have had all Giles' total support.  I'm not sure if Farbrace will take a different view, but at least he will see it afresh - and hopefully judge if changes are needed.  If he does, I think he has the strength to make, what will be, a challenging decision.  His England CV does imply that he can do that difficult stuff, IF needed.
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
I know that it isn't much help to say that things are worse elsewhere; but by all reports, the team atmosphere at Trent Bridge is toxic, a bit like the old Badbatch days at Edgbaston.  Whereas at Edgbaston, I get the impression that, despite the lack of on-field success, morale is still high.  Much of the credit for this has to go to Jeetan who seems universally admired within the squad.  But I would have thought that the coaching staff must take a bit of credit too.
I agree that Paul Farbrace should be taking a good look at the coaching structure.  It will be interesting to see if any changes materialise.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Admittedly commenting from a distance reading everyone's comments along with the results I too get the impression that morale and team spirit is very good. And that has to be down to captain, coaching staff and management. However the criticism appears to be the lack of advancement in the skill of the players to produce success and that is down to the coaches.
LE - aka John
Looking at the body language I agree that there does not appear to be a toxic atmosphere at the club, in fact I dont detect any anger, frustration or passion at all.
Heard from a source that will remain nameless for now that Farbrace is relieving Frost and Ostler from their respective coaching duties come the end of the season
[-] The following 3 users Like narsty simon's post:
Bald Reynard, Lilly, The Lickey Banker
(09-09-2019, 02:47 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Heard from a source that will remain nameless for now that Farbrace is relieving Frost and Ostler from their respective coaching duties come the end of the season

Great news about Frost, if true.  Nothing against the guy - except in his role as Batting Coach - for which I don't think he has ever had the right technical skills !  He's always been well respected as a Team Manager and I'd be happy if he took up another similar role at the Club again - his old job as 2nd XI Manager, or even Dom O's job as Womens Manager / Coach; possibly even going back on the Groundstaff again etc.  It will be interesting to see who we would get as Batting Coach now though - perhaps Trotty - he has left Kent now ?
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bald Reynard's post:
The Lickey Banker
(09-09-2019, 05:54 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 02:47 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Heard from a source that will remain nameless for now that Farbrace is relieving Frost and Ostler from their respective coaching duties come the end of the season

Great news about Frost, if true.  Nothing against the guy - except in his role as Batting Coach - for which I don't think he has ever had the right technical skills !  He's always been well respected as a Team Manager and I'd be happy if he took up another similar role at the Club again - his old job as 2nd XI Manager, or even Dom O's job as Womens Manager / Coach; possibly even going back on the Groundstaff again etc.  It will be interesting to see who we would get as Batting Coach now though - perhaps Trotty - he has left Kent now ?

I'd agree with all that.  I too would hope that Frosty stays at the Club.  Perhaps not as 2nd XI Manager, because Ian Westwood did OK in his first year in the job, though he still has a lot to prove.  Yes, perhaps TF could take over from Ostler, he is a proven Team Manager and he could have the skills to pick that Team up after a pretty disastrous season.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
(09-09-2019, 06:34 PM)The Lickey Banker Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 05:54 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:

I'd agree with all that.  I too would hope that Frosty stays at the Club.  Perhaps not as 2nd XI Manager, because Ian Westwood did OK in his first year in the job, though he still has a lot to prove.  Yes, perhaps TF could take over from Ostler, he is a proven Team Manager and he could have the skills to pick that Team up after a pretty disastrous season.
Farbrace and McCleod need to make the right decision as Ostler's replacement.He or she will be the 4th coach in as many years
If he was available, recruiting Trevor Penney as first team coach would be a very big upgrade.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
He is currently fielding coach in India. Not quite the same as Batting or First Team Coach.
LE - aka John
TP has had good experience as lead assistant coach with two test countries and several first class &/or T20 frachises.

He also as a 100% winning record as an international head coach.

Infinately more high level coaching experience than the current first team coach.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
Thanks for the info TGM - sounds impressive - would he prefer Brum to India?

By the way your strap line needs tweeking - Not all Mugabes are demised !!
LE - aka John
I'd guess, like many coaches, life is easier on tthe T20 circuit, with short term gigs around the world, and no need or responsibility to actually develop players or a team.

Yes, while robert has departed TGM is here to stay, hopefully for many more years.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
parkfield bear

NS posted this in September.  I haven't seen any news of Frosty going as Batting Coach.  Does anyone know if this happened / could still happen ?
(27-02-2020, 06:19 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:

NS posted this in September.  I haven't seen any news of Frosty going as Batting Coach.  Does anyone know if this happened / could still happen ?

Tony Frost sat with coaches at AGM last night
Anything of interest to report from last night Malc
(28-02-2020, 04:05 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Anything of interest to report from last night Malc

Development plans for the ground are exciting. A new stand and hotel will link up the West stand and the Thwaite scoreboard. This project will only begin after the completion of the plaza which will be begin soon. However, ........still no new scoreboard on the horizon. It’s almost like it’s become a joke
(28-02-2020, 04:42 PM)Malc Wrote:
(28-02-2020, 04:05 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Anything of interest to report from last night Malc

Development plans for the ground are exciting. A new stand and hotel will link up the West stand and the Thwaite scoreboard. This project will only begin after the completion of the plaza which will be begin soon. However, ........still no new scoreboard on the horizon. It’s almost like it’s become a joke

Are these plans available online anywhere?

Are we in need of a new scoreboard?
Proud to be a Bear
Just announced that Ian Westwood will be in charge of the team for the 50 over competition t(is season.
There are GOOD Mugabe's