Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset - Final (4 day) Friendly
(Strong) 12 man team for the final Seconds (4 day Friendly) game of the season, at Portland Road today:-

Banks
Pollock (Captain)
Mousley
Lamb
Ambrose
Thomson
Ethan Brookes
Miles
Garrett
OHD
Furrer
Davison (just bowling)

No Jake Lintott, as he is playing for Wiltshire  I hope he has already done enough to get a contract for us next season.

We won the toss and put Somerset in.  10.30 start.

I've just got here, so will try and give a few updates over the next few days.  Decent weather forecast for the 4 days - cool, sunshine and cloud, but no rain - so come down, if you get chance.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
(02-09-2019, 10:26 AM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: (Strong) 12 man team for the final Seconds (4 day Friendly) game of the season, at Portland Road today:-

Banks
Pollock (Captain)
Mousley
Lamb
Ambrose
Thomson
Ethan Brookes
Miles
Garrett
OHD
Furrer
Davison (just bowling)

No Jake Lintott, as he is playing for Wiltshire  I hope he has already done enough to get a contract for us next season.

I've just got here, so will try and give a few updates over the next few days.  Decent weather forecast for the 4 days - cool, sunshine and cloud, but no rain - so come down, if you get chance.

I agree, I hope Jake will get a contract.  I think he has done enough.  He has performed for us, Wiltshire and Clevedon this season.

In the current Wiltshire MC game (against Shropshire), he took 3 for 17 in 8.5 overs and scored 48 (batting at 5) in the 1st innings:-

https://wiltshireccc.play-cricket.com/we...ts/3888127
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
Somerset 73 for 4 at Lunch.  2 wickets for George Furrer (8 overs, 18 runs), 1 apiece for OHD (8 overs, 18 runs) and Ethan Brookes (1 maiden over).
Live scorecard here:
https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m58787e65-e...19e4571b00
Looks like Ed Pollock is in fine form.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I was down there today, my first visit to Portland Road.

Somerset had quite a strong side out- Steven Davies, Jack Brooks plus Byron and Lammonby who have been playing in the Blast. We bowled them out for 203, George Furrer and Matthew Davison both taking four wickets each. I was impressed with Furrer, a tall left-armer who has just signed a contract with us. OHD had a decent bowl and Miles and Garratt both had short spells. The most spectacular thing was a brilliant low catch by Alex Thomson in the gully.

We had just started when I left. Ed Pollock, who is skipper, came out guns blazing and when I last looked at the score he was 83 not out. Liam Banks went just before I left, caught at mid-on skying a leading edge- the sort of dismissal I usually associate with Pollock.

Portland Road is a pleasant venue but has little accommodation and crucially, doesn't have much space to add more. I suppose there could be some temporary seating put in, but I think they've got a lot to do in order to stage first-team games there.

Henry Brookes and George Panayi were there doing some fitness work and Tom Banton made an appearance, along with his dog. Apparently he has a couple of days off before he reports back to Somerset.
(02-09-2019, 05:55 PM)The Red Baron Wrote: I was down there today, my first visit to Portland Road.

Somerset had quite a strong side out- Steven Davies, Jack Brooks plus Byron and Lammonby who have been playing in the Blast. We bowled them out for 203, George Furrer and Matthew Davison both taking four wickets each. I was impressed with Furrer, a tall left-armer who has just signed a contract with us. OHD had a decent bowl and Miles and Garratt both had short spells. The most spectacular thing was a brilliant low catch by Alex Thomson in the gully.

We had just started when I left. Ed Pollock, who is skipper, came out guns blazing and when I last looked at the score he was 83 not out. Liam Banks went just before I left, caught at mid-on skying a leading edge- the sort of dismissal I usually associate with Pollock.

Portland Road is a pleasant venue but has little accommodation and crucially, doesn't have much space to add more. I suppose there could be some temporary seating put in, but I think they've got a lot to do in order to stage first-team games there.

Henry Brookes and George Panayi were there doing some fitness work and Tom Banton made an appearance, along with his dog. Apparently he has a couple of days off before he reports back to Somerset.

If we can't get Tom Banton back, maybe we could sign his dog.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
We bowled Somerset out for 203.  4 wickets apiece for Furrer (for 26 runs off 14 overs - superb bowling) and Davison (for 41 runs).  1 wicket each for OHD and Brookes.

We finished the day on 109 for 2.  Ed P on 83 NO - a great innings - he really has sorted his batting out recently.  Banks, just 4 and Mousley, 18.
(02-09-2019, 12:09 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 10:26 AM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: (Strong) 12 man team for the final Seconds (4 day Friendly) game of the season, at Portland Road today:-

Banks
Pollock (Captain)
Mousley
Lamb
Ambrose
Thomson
Ethan Brookes
Miles
Garrett
OHD
Furrer
Davison (just bowling)

I agree, I hope Jake will get a contract.  I think he has done enough.  He has performed for us, Wiltshire and Clevedon this season.

In the current Wiltshire MC game (against Shropshire), he took 3 for 17 in 8.5 overs and scored 48 (batting at 5) in the 1st innings:-

https://wiltshireccc.play-cricket.com/we...ts/3888127

In Shropshire's 2nd Innings, Jake bowled 10 overs and took 5 for 21.  8 for 38 in the match, in 18.5 overs !

I know it's Minor Counties, but that is devastating bowling.  We must sign him !
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
We made 336.  A superb 125 from Ed P (off just 94 balls with 6 x 6's - red ball cricket indeed !).  A wonderful late partnership of 105 for the 9th wicket, between Ethan B (78) and OHD (51) as well.
A half-century for OH-D!  I can see that at this rate of progress, he will soon be opening the batting.
I won't be able to get down to Portland Road today, but I see from the WCCC website that HENRY Brookes is down as bowling this morning (he's taken a wicket !).  I don't know if is this is a typo and it's really Ethan Brookes (who obviously has played the previous 2 days), or it is actually Henry.  If the latter, perhaps Ethan is injured, or they feel Henry needs a bit of a practice before next weeks Championship game.  Is there anybody at the game today who can tell us ?
(04-09-2019, 12:11 PM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: I won't be able to get down to Portland Road today, but I see from the WCCC website that HENRY Brookes is down as bowling this morning (he's taken a wicket !).  I don't know if is this is a typo and it's really Ethan Brookes (who obviously has played the previous 2 days), or it is actually Henry.  If the latter, perhaps Ethan is injured, or they feel Henry needs a bit of a practice before next weeks Championship game.  Is there anybody at the game today who can tell us ?

Alex Thomson picked up a knock / strain yesterday, so Henry Brookes is in for him.

We bowled Somerset out for 225, so we need just 93 to win.  Wickets for:-

OHD - 1 for 33
Furrer - 1 for 49 (very expensively - 7 an over)
Henry Brookes - 3 for 39
Davison - 2 for 17
Miles - 3 for 53 (expensively - 5 an over)

The pick of the bowlers were Henry B (not surprisingly) and Matthew Davison (again !).
(04-09-2019, 02:33 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 12:11 PM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: I won't be able to get down to Portland Road today, but I see from the WCCC website that HENRY Brookes is down as bowling this morning (he's taken a wicket !).  I don't know if is this is a typo and it's really Ethan Brookes (who obviously has played the previous 2 days), or it is actually Henry.  If the latter, perhaps Ethan is injured, or they feel Henry needs a bit of a practice before next weeks Championship game.  Is there anybody at the game today who can tell us ?

Alex Thomson picked up a knock / strain yesterday, so Henry Brookes is in for him.

We bowled Somerset out for 225, so we need just 93 to win.  Wickets for:-

OHD - 1 for 33
Furrer - 1 for 49 (very expensively - 7 an over)
Henry Brookes - 3 for 39
Davison - 2 for 17
Miles - 3 for 53 (expensively - 5 an over)

The pick of the bowlers were Henry B (not surprisingly) and Matthew Davison (again !).

We knocked the 93 off in 6.3 overs for the loss of no wickets - 60 for Pollock (off 25 balls, with 7 x 6's) and 33 for Banks (off 14 balls) !

That's it for the Seconds this season.

Ed P is the man in form, I just wish they'd give him a chance in Championship cricket (not one game in 3 seasons at the club !).  Perhaps in one of the 3 remaining matches - especially if we've made sure of Division 1 next year ?
A very entertaining afternoon session resulted in a 10 wicket win for the Bears. With 9 wickets down Josh Davey chose to hit out, with 8 Warwickshire fielders on the boundary, before lbw to Davison for 63 off 38 balls. Ed Pollock played in t20 mode, though he was dropped at slip second ball, either side of two sixes, and the 50 was reached after 3 overs. Then Liam Banks decided he should also play some attacking shots. As much time was spent retrieving balls from over the fencing and changing the ball as playing cricket.

With both Adam Hose and Michael Burgess missing the final t20 games through injury and neither playing in this game, it is possible that Ed Pollock, in such good recent form for the 2ndXI, Bears t20 team and Barnt Green, will be selected in the middle order for his Championship debut.