Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quiz question
Who was the only British Prime Minister to have played first class cricket?
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(16-04-2020, 10:45 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Who was the only British Prime Minister to have played first class cricket?

Alec Douglas Home
Well done, was your answer google assisted?
There are GOOD Mugabe's
He played first class cricket longer than he served as PM !
LE - aka John
I've used that question in pub quizzes. People always think it's John Major.

I've also asked who is the only Nobel prize winner to have played first class cricket. Do we know that one?
(16-04-2020, 03:03 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I've used that question in pub quizzes. People always think it's John Major.

I've also asked who is the  only  Nobel prize winner to have played first class cricket. Do we know that one?

Yes - two matches as a left hand bat and left arm medium pace bowler.
I won't reveal the name unless nobody else gets it.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(16-04-2020, 03:26 PM)Terry Wrote:
(16-04-2020, 03:03 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I've used that question in pub quizzes. People always think it's John Major.

I've also asked who is the  only  Nobel prize winner to have played first class cricket. Do we know that one?

Yes - two matches as a left hand bat and left arm medium pace bowler.
I won't reveal the name unless nobody else gets it.

I know it
An interesting one.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
An Irishman who lived most of his life in France is not at all the obvious choice but, yes, Samuel Beckett it is.

That's a bit of an old chestnut and I wonder if it is still true but I don't have the urge to check whether all those appearing at Fenners or The Parks in the last thirty years have gone on to great scientific achievements. It would be interesting if any of them had.

Off topic a bit but other cracking Nobel prize questions are:
Which two people have won both an Oscar and a Nobel prize?
Who is the only person to have won Nobel prizes in both physics AND chemistry?
I'm sure that Bob Willis would have known one of the Oscar/Nobel double winners.  Maybe William Porterfield or Boyd Rankin would know the other one.
Views on here are my own; but you can keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Bob Dylan
George Bernard Shaw
Marie Curie

I hope Stingray won't mind if I say that the last of those three is all the more impressive for being achieved by a woman in a man's world.
It was George Bernard Shaw who said:
“The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. ”
What did he know? It's the absence of cricket at the moment that seems like eternity.
Well I've learnt something today - thank you - now the next achievement is to learn to remember it.
LE - aka John